The Paul and Marcia Wythes Center on Contemporary China invites proposals from members of the Princeton faculty (professors and research scholars on continuing appointments) for support of research, conferences and collaborative projects that promote scholarship on contemporary China at Princeton University. In addition, funding may be used to invite visiting lecturers or develop courses to advance the study of contemporary China.
The following proposal baselines are required:
- Proposals must be received at least 8 weeks (2 months) prior to the date when funding is needed;
- Specify the contemporary China-related component of the event and/or project;
- Connected to Princeton University by the department or group requesting funding.
(1) Individual research projects. The Center offers 3-year grants, depending on the nature of the project, to support costs for individual projects and collaborative work with colleagues from other institutions. These might include research travel, book workshops (to discuss draft manuscripts with local and visiting colleagues), and research projects that require dataset purchase, survey work payment, research assistants, and other research-related costs. Grants are not to be used for equipment or computer purchase. Approvals are on a case-by-case basis so there is no set approval amounts.
(2) Conference funding. The Center welcomes requests to cosponsor conferences and workshops to be held on campus and open to participation by faculty and graduate students. Typical grants are $10 – 20k and will depend on costs and centrality to the Center’s interest. We will consider larger requests depending on the scope of the project. We expect that co-sponsored conferences will also be supported by other units of the University and will be administered in one of those units.
(3) Travel Grants for collaborative projects of small or large scale. For projects centered at Princeton or organized in collaboration with other universities and/or with substantial participation by Princeton faculty, we will consider requests for amounts up to $10k/year.
If your request is to simply invite a speaker, please email Phillip Rush, email@example.com.
Submission Guidelines and Requirements: