The Dunhuang Foundation is looking for current undergraduate students to intern as Critical English Teachers at the Mogao Caves, a UNESCO World Heritage site in Dunhuang, China, from June 16 – August 11, 2018.
Critical English Teachers will work with English-speaking guides and staff members at the Dunhuang Academy to improve their functional language needs. This is an exciting professional opportunity for students who wish to work in a Chinese immersion environment and to gain experience in cooperative and critical English teaching.
- Although applicants do not need extensive formal training in teaching English, they must be enthusiastic about working closely with and adapting to the English-learning needs of Dunhuang’s staff members.
- Applicants should have at least a high intermediate Chinese-speaking ability to be able to comfortably communicate with staff members.
- Applicants should have a demonstrated interest in classical Chinese art and literature, Chinese history, Silk Road studies, Buddhist studies, cultural heritage conservation, and/ or cultural heritage management.
- Applicants who have had foreign experience in China are at an advantage.
- Resume/CV, one version in English and one version in Chinese
- Cover letter in English addresses applicant experience with leadership and interest in this English teaching internship or Chinese studies in general
- A two-minute video introduction that addresses interest in this internship along with strengths which would be of value to this experience
- A sample lesson plan for a course of one hour - for a group of ten students of varying lower-intermediate English, be as detailed as you’d like
- Two recommendation letters, at least one of which is from a professor who can speak to the student’s Chinese proficiency
We encourage accepted interns to seek internal funding from their home universities. The Dunhuang Foundation will supply basic intern expenses in addition to a modest stipend.
Application due date: January 12
Questions and application materials to Mei Mei Chan at email@example.com