Sponsored by the Paul and Marcia Wythes Center on Contemporary China (CCC) and the Office of Population Research (OPR), the Research on East Asian Demography and Inequality (READI) is an invite only monthly forum that aims to share work in progress while building connections across junior and senior scholars working on China, Japan, Korea, and Taiwan. The seminar will meet virtually once a month, on the second Tuesday of each month from 8:30-10:00PM EST (9:30AM in Tokyo/Seoul, 8:30AM in Beijing). The time is chosen to facilitate live participation on both sides of the pacific.
READI is collaborative, inviting participants to present their works in progress to the group for discussion. The schedule thus far is as follows:
June 16th, 2020: Professor Yu Xie, Princeton University - "Chinese Family in Transition"
July 14th, 2020: Professor James Raymo, Princeton University - "Employment trajectories, divorce, and women's economic well-being in Japan"
August 11th, 2020: Professor Hiroshi Ishida, University of Tokyo - "Trends in Intergenerational Mobility and the OED Triangle in Japan"
September 8th, 2020: Professor Hyunjoon Park, University of Pennsylvania - "The Luxury of Family: The Growing Education Divide in Family Life in South Korea"
October 13th, 2020: Professor Mary C. Brinton, Harvard University - “What’s the Use? Low Fertility and Fathers’ Use of Childcare Leave in Japan.”
November 10th, 2020: Professor Dohoon Lee, Yonsei University - "The Role of Higher Education Expansion in Economic Inequality: A Case of South Korea"
December 8th, 2020: Professors Paul Chang and Young-Mi Kim, Harvard University and Yonsei University- "Opting Out or Left Out? Gendered Pathways to Singlehood in South Korea"
January 12th, 2021: Professor Xiaogang Wu, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology - "Fertility Decline and Trends in Educational Gender Inequality in China"
February 9th, 2021: Professor Emily Hannum, University of Pennsylvania - "Same Environment, Stratified Impacts? Air pollution, extreme temperatures, and birth weight in Southeast China"
March 9th, 2021: Dr. Setsuya Fukuda, National Institute of Population and Social Security Research (Tokyo) - “The Future of Unpaid Work: How will automation transform time spent on domestic and care work in the UK and Japan?”
April 13th, 2021: Professor Shin Arita, University of Tokyo - TBD
May 11th, 2021:
June 8th, 2021: Professor Yoonsun Han, Seoul National University - TBD
July 13th, 2021
August 10th, 2021: Professor Hyeyoung Woo, Portland State University - TBD
1. We will send out regular announcements regarding the talks with an RSVP link so we will know who plans to attend. Group members should feel free to recommend additional participants at any time (we are especially eager to welcome graduate students who are committed to work on demography and inequality in East Asia).
2. The READI seminar will be held over Zoom Meeting. Turning on your video camera is strongly encouraged to help foster community and engagement, so please make sure you are in a well-lit area. Microphones will be automatically muted at the beginning of the seminar. When the floor is open to questions or comments, please remember to re-mute yourself once you are finished speaking.
3. Talks will be recorded for archiving but we do not plan to share/release them.
4. China related papers are eligible to be in our Working Paper Series
5. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the seminar coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org